Evolution Timeline - SBU: Industrial Packaging

1920 – Balmer Lawrie was appointed Managing Agent for Indian Galvanizing 
1922 - Indian Galvanizing shifted to Howrah
1926 – New machines were added, equity restructured, Indian Galvanizing Co. Ltd. was formed.
1928 - Two new seam welding machines were added. It was ‘seam welding’ technology which, in fact, gave birth to mild steel drums and barrels.
1930 - Indian Galvanizing Co. Ltd. was the most proficient producer of drums in the country
1953 - A branch of Indian Galvanizing Co. Ltd. was established at Sewri
1958 - Calcutta operations of Indian Galvanizing were closed down. 
1959 - The barrel plant in Calcutta was shifted to Paharpur and set up as Industrial Containers Ltd. Bombay barrel plant emerged as Steel Containers Ltd.
1960 - Indian Galvanizing Co. (1926) Ltd. went into liquidation.
1965 - Industrial Containers Ltd (Paharpur) took up production of lacquer lined barrels.
1972 -  His Highness Prince Faisal Bin Turki Abdulla Al-Saud from Saudi Arabia visited the Bombay unit. The Prince had expressed interest in setting up a barrel plant in Saudi Arabia.
1973 - Steel Containers Ltd. (Bombay) won an order from Indian Oil for a period of three years.
1975 - Steel Containers Ltd. and Industrial Containers Ltd. were merged in Balmer Lawrie
1976 - The two units, having become ‘divisions’ of Balmer Lawrie, were renamed Container Division, Bombay and Container Division, Calcutta. 
1977 – Balmer Lawrie secured a long term contract with Caltex and the construction of a factory to produce lube barrels and cans in Dubai started.
1978 - Dubai plant was formally inaugurated by HH Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al-Maktoum, Ruler of Dubai.
1983 – Balmer Lawrie UAE was formed as a JV where His Highness Sheikh Hasher had 51% shareholding and the remaining 49% was with Balmer Lawrie.
1980 - Cochin Refineries Ltd. invited offers from parties to operate its drum plant on lease. BL won the contract and an agreement was made, leasing the plant to BL.
1982 - Production and supplies to CRL commenced.
1986 - The plant at Cochin to produce barrels and drums was closed down.
1988 - The barrel plant at Manali, Madras was commissioned initially to produce bitumen drums.
1989- Additions were made for the manufacture of 200 litre barrels.
1991 – Balmer Lawrie commissioned its Turbhe plant for producting LWBs.
1992 - The Madras unit made its maiden profit.
1993 -  The Turbhe plant became a 50:50 Joint Venture Company between BL and Van Leer and the name was also changed to Balmer Lawrie - Van Leer Limited along with expansion of its capacity of closure products and addition of new activities such as manufacturing and sales of plastic containers.
1993 - The concept of Strategic Business Unit was introduced and the Container Divisions were consolidated under SBU: Industrial Packaging.

News & Events